Baby Meal Recipe: Lentils and Rainbow Carrots
Right now, rainbow carrots are our favorite ingredient at the farmers market. They’re so colorful and delicious and we just love their vibrancy.
We blend rainbow carrots with red lentils, celery and thyme for a hearty yet sweetly delicious baby puree. It is packed with protein, iron and dietary fiber, as well as essential minerals like potassium, calcium and zinc and vitamins including A, B3 and C.
This puree is on our March menus and we’re running a special promo until the end of the month. Get $50 off any new subscription meal plan with promo code RAINBOW18.
· 8oz rainbow carrots, peeled and chopped
· 2 stalks celery, chopped
· ½ onion, chopped
· 1 tbs olive oil
· ½ cup red lentils
· 1 ½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
· 1 tsp dried thyme
1. Put the carrots, onion and celery into a food processor and blitz.
2. Place a large heavy-bottomed saucepan on a medium heat.
3. Add the olive oil and then the onion, celery and carrot.
4. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until they’re starting to get soft.
5. Add the lentils and thyme and cover with stock.
6. Let simmer for about 20 minutes until the lentils are soft, adding more stock if necessary.
7. Leave to cool and place vegetables in a food processor to blend to your desired consistency.
TIP: If not making your own stock, use low sodium stock. For older children, add diced potatoes to the recipe and skip the pureeing bit for a delicious lentil casserole.